Pages

Thursday 14 February 2013

~Valentines Day Blogger~


It is our 2nd Thursday of Guest Blogging, which just so happens to be Valentine’s Day!
On this lovely romantic day, I’d like to welcome Dorien Grey!
Happy Valentines Dorien! 



Tell us a bit about yourself –what genre you write and any work you currently have published.

If it's possible to be two separate people without being schizophrenic, I qualify. I was born Roger Margason, but with the publication of my first book I began to experience a form of meiosis (cell division), which has over time resulted in the emergence of Dorien Grey. Roger handles all the daily chores and routines of living, and Dorien writes books and blogs and keeps up with email and other promotional efforts.

I write primarily mysteries—I have two series going at present: the 14-book Dick Hardesty Mysteries and the 4-book Elliott Smith mystery series—plus a stand alone western/romance/adventure/YA novel, Calico, and Short Circuits: a Life in Blogs, a compiled selection of 4 or 5 years' worth of my three-times-per week blogs.

Good stuff Dorien! What inspired you to start writing?

Primarily, a vivid imagination from childhood. I think of my mind as a popcorn popper. Throw in a cup of ideas, turn up the heat, and stand back.

Love it!
How did you come up with the title of your first book?

I have more than 20 books in circulation, and can only think of one or two where I've had to think about a title. Most often, a thought or a few words will come into my mind and I think, “now that's a great book title,” and take it from there.

Is there a message in your first book that you want readers to grasp?

I have a message in my first book...and all my books...for heterosexuals: that gays are basically no different from them other than who they choose to sleep with.

Awesome messege to get out there! How much of this book is realistic?

As realistic, I'd hope, as any mystery/detective novel can be.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

Both, plus whatever my imagination comes up with.

What are your current projects?

Having just submitted The Serpent's Tongue, book #15 of the Dick Hardesty series to my publisher, I've begun work on Cameron's Eye the next Elliott Smith mystery. I'm awaiting the reissue of The Ninth Man, the second Dick Hardesty novel, and am beginning to have all my books done as audio books. And then, after lunch....

Hahaa! Do you have a specific writing style?

I'd certainly like to think so. I write every book as though I'm talking casually and informally with the reader, and I am always aware that he/she is there.

Where can we find out more about you and your books?

I'd be delighted to have anyone stop by my website (www.doriengrey.com) where they can, among other things, read the entire first chapter of any or all of my books. I'm also active on Facebook, Google +, Goodreads, Open Salon, and about a dozen other sites around the net.

How may readers contact you?

I love nothing better than to hear from a reader or potential reader, and my email is doriengrey@gmail.com

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Yes, thanks...I'd like to thank them sincerely for their support and for taking the time to read my words.

Do you see writing as a career?

LOL! I don't see it as a career; it is one.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

I think most writers tend to be nit-pickers, and as for me, I can go over a book 25 times and still find something to change on the 26th.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

I can't point to any one thing as an “over-all” other than, in the mysteries, working out the details of who did it and why. And each book generally presents one or two little unexpected challenges.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Generally, the author of whatever book I've read last tends to be my favorite author. But boiling it down, I'd say possibly my favorite author is Robert Lewis Taylor, who wrote the little-known Adrift in a Boneyard in the late 1940s. It is the most delightfully funny book I've ever read and it strongly influenced my own writing.

Who designs the covers of your books?

My publisher assigns different artists to do covers, so it's hard to say.

What was the hardest part of writing your first book?

My first published book was something of a fluke...I was working as a book editor many years ago and received a manuscript for a western (my least favorite of all genres) submitted by a college-student nephew of one of the company's heads. To call it “atrocious” would be too kind. So I threw it out an rewrote it myself. It was not easy.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

That I have strong opinions and attitudes I was not aware of having until they showed up.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Never assume the reader knows as much about your characters as you do. If you believe in what you have written, never give up on it. Listen to constructive criticism but don't let yourself be ruled by what other people say. Never talk down to, or talk at your reader. If a 10-cent word will do, don't feel you have to use a fifty-cent word just to impress.

What were the challenges (research, literary, psychological, and logistical) in bringing it to life?

With my most recent book, The Serpent's Tongue, which will not be released until later this year, I had to do a lot of research on the effects of and recovery from a traumatic injury. And every book has the challenge of making sure every clue dropped is followed up on, that the chronological order is correct, that all details are consistent with what I've said before and say later. None of them individually tend to be that bothersome, but when put all together, it can be a bit daunting.

So, since it’s Valentine’s Day! I’m gonna ask some questions which are a little less about writing, and a little more about romance!

How do you usually spend Valentine’s Day?

Quietly. I have, alas, been effectively aged out of the romantic holidays demographic.

What would be your ideal date? (What would you do? Where would you go?)

Were I lucky enough to have someone with whom to spend a romantic Valentine's day, just being together would suffice.

Aw! Do you believe in love at first sight?

Oh, yes...I do it all the time.

Who was your first celebrity crush?

I think it was Buster Crabbe as Flash Gordon.

What do you think is the most important value in a relationship?

A combination of appreciation, love, and understanding.


 Wonderful Dorien! :-) 

Thanks, Samantha, for the opportunity to talk with you and your readers. I do appreciate it.


It's been a pleasure! If you want to find out more about Dorian, check out his website! Or drop him an email!





1 comment:

  1. Lovely interview. Well done to you both. Loved the Flash Gordon thing, I used to see that, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete